This report examines support for small-scale fishery projects, and provides an overview of Rare's Fish Forever initiative.
Key findings include:
Funding from Foundations
-Between 2007 to 2015, we identified $91 million in grants directed towards small-scale fishing (SSF) projects. An additional $136 million in grants was directed towards projects that may be relevant for small-scale fisheries, but it is not clear from the grant description –most of these grants are for marine protected areas. In sum, this is ~$10-$23 million per year in grants to projects that are potentially relevant for SSF.
-Approximately 0.5% of all foundation grantmaking goes to marine conservation, and we estimate that between 5-12% of that is directed to SSF relevant projects.
Funding from DFI's
-Based on a review of the funding of seven major DFIs (World Bank, GEF, IADB, ADB, KfW, AfDB, and CAF) from 2000-2016, we identified $1.825 billion of investment in SSF related projects. An additional $4.351 billion was invested in projects that may be relevant for small-scale fisheries (e.g., coastal zone management). In sum this amounts to ~$107-$363 million per year of funding from these DFIs for projects that are potentially relevant for SSF.
-SSF related projects made up less than 0.5%on average of the DFI's portfolios.
- Published by
- Issue areas
- Energy and Environment
- Document type
- Africa (Southeastern) / Mozambique
- Asia (Southeastern) / Indonesia
- Asia (Southeastern) / Philippines
- North America (Central America) / Belize
- South America (Northeastern) / Brazil
- Copyright 2016 by Rare. All rights reserved.
- What to read next
- Fisheries Stakeholders and Their Livelihoods in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry
- Synthesis of FMSP Experience and Lessons Learned for Fisheries Co-Management, Final Technical Report
- Tanzanian Coastal and Marine Resources: Some Examples Illustrating Questions of Sustainable Use
- Linked data add horizontal_rule
This web page is marked up with Schema.org microdata and formatted for machine-reading. Here's why that matters. Have a peek at what a machine sees here.
- Funding for Small-scale Fisheries A Landscape Overview
- Publication date
- Publication year
- Copyright holder(s)
- Geographical focus
- Asia (Southeastern) / Indonesia, North America (Central America) / Belize, South America (Northeastern) / Brazil, Global, Africa (Southeastern) / Mozambique, Asia (Southeastern) / Philippines
- DFI, IDB, fisheries, GEF, small scale
- Document type
- Resource provided by
- Issue Lab